3.11.2012

Veselka - Ukranian - $

Website

Veselka is a staple to the East Village. It's been there forever, and it always surprises me how busy it maintains to be.

I went back for brunch recently, after only having been for dessert previously. Now, I know that I probably should have taken the opportunity to sample the borscht, or pierogies... but i was in the mood for brunch brunch. And since I was nursing a heavy hangover, I went big time.

I ordered a monte cristo. Something I'd never had before, and something I'll never order again. Granted, I should have known what I was getting myself into: french toast made with challah, then sandwiching turkey and some krakovska- a polish sausage which is pretty good. But the sandwich came out totally soggy and mushy. And the sweet potato fries were your typical, frozen-fried fries. Not fresh, not good.



I'll never order that again. I'd say, stick with the Eastern European treats. There's a reason why Veselka is still famous, and there's practically no other place to get potato pancakes or pierogies, so go basic.

No comments:

Post a Comment