4.01.2012

Mundo - Turkish/Argentinian - $$ (Astoria)

Website

I was introduced to Mundo by a friend and found it to be an interesting restaurant option for Astoria. It's a small place off of Broadway that integrates the owners' Argentinian and Turkish backgrounds and inspires a healthy, natural menu with really interesting and unique flavor combinations.

The service was mediocre but all the patrons were raving about the food as they passed us on their way out. My friend who's a vegetarian was really happy with the plethora of options for him, however we really depended on our waiter to help explain and sell the menu. He kind of sucked at that.

So we went with:

- Red Sonja
This is so different than anything I've had and not at all how I was expecting it. It's lentils and bulgar pureed and served as a dumpling on pieces of lettuce. You basically take the lettuce leaf and eat the dumpling wrapped in it. This is pretty delicious and light, and fresh-tasting.






- Peruvian Causa
This is nicely presented as layers of all the ingredients. The flavors are all delicious, but each layer was served at a different temperature-- room temp, refrigerator temp... the inconsistency was a turn off. I personally think it would have been better if it was served warm.



- Manti

Then we ordered their signature dish. They're tiny little dumplings stuffed with beef, steamed, and then served with Turkish yogurt and spices over it. This dish was a zero for me. I hated the mushy textures, I hated the sour yogurt. I almost never leave food behind on a plate, but this was the exception. I think our waiter was shocked that I didn't devour this dish. Oh well!




Each, we spent $35.

No comments:

Post a Comment