3.31.2011

DBGB - French Fusion - $$$$

Website
(Bowery and Houston)

I was very much looking forward to trying DBGB, but sadly, it didn't live up to my excitement. I waited for a friend at the bar and had the baby shoes cocktail which was as yummy as the bartender. The space has a nice vibe- dimly lit, open area, and shelves that are stocked with all sorts of boxed and canned goods-- the kinds that my mom and I always bring back from France.

But our waiter was less than enthusiastic that night. I expect the waiters in good restaurants to sell their menu--- that is what a good waiter is supposed to do: push the best dishes. But when we asked, he was short with his answers and bland with his suggestions. The food was overall very mediocre, and I can't justify ever coming back or spending more money at this restaurant. Not one bite of anything was "WOW!" or made me want to keep eating or come back... In fact, we were so unsatisfied that we didn't even order dessert and actually went to Mark for sliders.



- DBGB Dog
(This was OK. The bun was perfectly toasted and my friend loved this, but I didn't)



- Pan Seared Scallops and Shrimp
(This was really good. The scallops were perfectly cooked and the polenta and sprouts were a really nice add to the flavors)



- Steak Frites
(This was the only entree the waiter recommended and there was nothing special about this dish at all. The fries were better than the plain steak. It was supposedly the best quality meat that you could get, but it just wasn't one of the top steaks I've had)



- Tablier de Sapeur
(Crispy tripe with tomato tripe salad. I honestly didn't even know what this dish was until I had to ask, and then, I was not happy at all. I love tripe, but you couldn't even taste or tell what this was, other than fried. I would not recommend this at all, and in fact, the waiter took this off our bill.)



We ended up spending $50 each for a mediocre meal and then went for $2 sliders to be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment